Monday, April 6, 2009

Ran off a Cliff

I was debating whether just to forget this game even happened blog wise and just move on. Well I couldn't do it. All of my preseason fears about the 2009 Cleveland Indians came true today as they were battered 9-1 at the hands of the Texas Rangers. The way the team looked hitting-wise out of the game gave me a feeling of "here we go again." When Victor Martinez grounded into an inning ending double play in the first after putting together a very impressive at bat (10 or 12 pitches), the team just looked flat with the bats and sluggish in the field. Peralta and V-Mart both seemed just a step late in the disastrous second, barely missing sharply hit balls in the holes. As for Lee, he didn't seem to use his curveball enough as he fell behind early and often in counts due his fastball being left up. After Hank Blaalock hit a comebacker off of his left elbow, it was an unfortunate omen of bad things to come. One game does not make a season, but it really could not have been any worse. To put it simply, Cliff Lee stunk, the offense was worse, and I have already second guessed my Central Division Prediction. Here are a couple more notes and observations from Monday's meltdown.

  • Lee said he was fine after getting hit on his throwing elbow. That is a big sigh of relief.

  • I think I have seen Ben Francisco get at least 8 swinging bunts in his short career.

  • Pronk looked ok, thankfully didn't pull out any of those embarrassing half swings from spring training to the park today.

  • I hope and pray that this team does not start slow offensively, because there isn't anything worse than seeing a ballclub that can't hit. If you don't believe me, remember the sickness?

The Tribe gets a much needed day off tomorrow and resumes action Wednesday in Arlington as Fausto Carmona takes on Vincente Padilla. Let's hope for an extra base hit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jake Taylor: I play for the Indians.

Women at Cocktail party: Here in Cleveland? I didn't know they still had a team!

Jake Taylor: Yup, we've got uniforms and everything, it's really great!